#TarotThursdayThree: 02/02/2017

This week I'm just going to jump straight into the answers. Love this week's questions by Alaina

1. What is your favorite tarot card and why?

Depends. The first card that came to my mind was Strength - I have a weird relationship with this card. It's always very important to me to check what Strength card looks like in a deck - if I don't like it I might dislike the whole thing. Oh, and of course it has to be number VIII! Eight has always been my favorite number and that's probably why Strength quickly became my fave when I started working with tarot. My first tarot decks all had Strength as number VIII and Justice as XI, and that resonates with me the most. I make very synesthetic connotations - correspondences need to "feel right" on many levels. And if Justice is not XI it feels like the card is an impostor, trying to fit into a role. I've no idea about numerology (and not interested!) but number 11 or XI visually represents order and justice to me. While number 8 feels like a free-flowing, perfectly balanced strong will and lifeforce. I know, it's impossible to explain what exactly happens in my head when it comes to these things, so I'm just going to leave it at that. Oh, and you know how Major Arcana are associated with zodiac signs, right? So the Major for Sagittarians is Temperance. I don't dislike it but I'm not a fan of this card, it feels a bit boring and rarely relatable. I prefer Strength which is associated with Leo - my Rising Sign (which at times feels very dominant).

Strength from Bohemian Gothic Tarot

But! Other than Strength, I consider a number of other cards to be my faves.
For example, The Magician! It's such a beautiful, meaningful and important card for me. I remember when I first got into tarot I couldn't understand why "everyone" (as in - a lot of people on mainstream tarot groups/pages) associates The Magician with a guy who's gonna trick you, cheat on you, has bad intentions etc. Back then I already had a background of around eight years as an on-and-off Chaote (Chaos Magick practitioner) so me and Magician naturally vibed very well. I quickly realized that he has bad reputation simply because "regular people" are often scared of those social outcasts who know more or can do more and because they are not easy to understand they become easy to judge. The Magician feels to me like the Ace of Major Arcana (it is number 1 after all). Just as Aces are these concentrated forms of their respective elements, so The Magician is pure will, concentrated intention, Condensed Chaos (pun intended). I just love the guy.

The Magician from Bohemian Gothic Tarot

2. What is your least favorite tarot card and why?

I'm not sure if I have any least favorite tarot cards at the moment - haven't thought about it for a while. Looking back at what cards used to be in my "I don't like you" pile over time, I came to a conclusion that it's all seasonal, temporary for me. If I happen to dislike a card it's always for a reason that usually has to do with what I'm trying to resist, what I need to pay attention to, what I might be having troubles with on a shadow level etc. I might not always know the reason at that time but looking back it always emerges and makes itself clear. 
I look at each card as a separate archetype and in that sense it's not beneficial in any way to prejudice ourselves to any of them. Each and every archetype is a part of us and our human experience in one way or another. Some of them hold difficult lessons for us, other strengthen us. But all of them are equally necessary and important for our growth and individuation.

3. If you could be a tarot card (live in/personify/experience), which would it be and why?

Queen of Wands, duh! She's my significator card and she's basically me - or I'm her. What does this say about me? I choose myself, no regrets! Guess I like being me.

Queen of Fire from Japaridze Tarot


9 comments:

  1. I almost choose the Queen of Wands for #3. I'm also Leo Rising and love the Strength association to that sign. AND I agree with you on the number thing. Justice is 11, Strength is 8. The Fountain Tarot does it backwards, but it's still my favourite modern deck...I just have to overlook the flaw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I try to completely ignore the numbering of Strength and Justice in The Fountain as well - it's too good of a deck not to forgive it. Also seems like we've got quite a bit in common, highfive!

      Delete
  2. *sigh* I would love to be the Queen of Wands, but I just can't keep up her warm, bubbling energy for very long haha (queen of swords over here...). I love what you write about the least favorite cards, and I totally agree. That's the beauty of the tarot for me, that there is a time and place for every card and archetype.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I also wanted to say: I love the Magician's message, but I often hate the depictions. I always think he looks a bit douchey and full of himself. *sigh*

      Delete
    2. Haha, it is true that Magician more often than not looks like an over-confident douche. I have to admit that it's also partially why I like the guy but I can imagine he's not an ideal friend for everyone :)

      Delete
    3. I almost wonder what that says about me and my confidence in my self.... Hmm.

      Delete
  3. I love this! I like how your intuition kinda does its own thing with the strength and justice card. I know very little about numerology bit I think of something is going to resonate with you, then you should focus on it from deck to deck (or whatever comes up). Also, im a Sagittarius sign too and I don't vibe with the temperance card at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I always go with intuition and personal correspondences, things make much more sense to me this way. Also good to know that other fellow Sagittarius feels the same about Temperance! I gave it some thought after I wrote this blog post and came up with a half-assed conclusion that we indeed are very much Temperance on the inside and that's why we might long for anything that's NOT Temperance on the outside.

      Delete
  4. Yes!!! The Queen of Wands is my significator as well! Love her fiery, passionate energy and her glow in the Japaridze deck.

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © 2017 Mnomquah , Blogger