#TarotThursdayThree: 12/01/2017

#TarotThursdayThree are weekly prompts for bloggers who are busy or, in my case, just inconsistent and lazy as fuck and struggle to keep their blogs updated regularly. The creatrix of all this is Julia from Spiral Sea Tarot - thanks, girl! I missed last week's prompts on purpose as they weren't exactly my kind of jazz, but this week I'm jumping in no matter what! Gotta exercise my writing muscles to improve on my non-existant writing "style" in English. Just a side note: Some folks have no idea how annoying it is to have a brilliant, witty, smart writing style in your mother tongue but then, when you write in English, you suddenly sound like a dumbass. Now you know, I guess. Eternal struggle! Anyway, let's get down to business.


1. What do you do with a deck you don't connect with?

I trade it, sell it or give it away. But I probably don't buy it in the first place. I'm very picky when it comes to my decks and try not to fall for shit I don't need. I admit it wasn't as clear and easy for me a year or two ago when I had a much bigger collection and I basically bought anything that was either "my style" or just a bargain. I started my journey with tarot only around 3 years ago - before then I used Futhark exclusively for over a decade.
At the beginning of one's tarot journey it might seem like a good idea to get our hands on as many decks as possible, because: 1) We're not sure what we're looking for yet, 2) We've no idea what we're actually going to like VS what we think we're going to like, 3) We need to compare our understanding of the tarot with various depictions of the same cards to truly understand what it means to us. But here's the thing. I bet my ass half of this community wouldn't end up being "deck collectors" if it wasn't for the trend hyping us up on social media. Seems like in 2017 it's a trend to go back to basics and stop buying shit like crazy - which is great and gets my seal of approval, btw! 
Anyway, I got rid of most of my collection around a year ago and I never looked back. I'm a Sagittarius and I like getting rid of stuff, like seriously, I could almost say it's my hobby.

2. How long do you give yourself to connect with a new deck?

It doesn't work this way for me. I'm one of those people who like to check all the images in the deck before I buy something, so I always know beforehand if the deck is right for me or not. I "connect" with a deck during a reading - I analyze the imagery and interpret it accordingly. I don't keep a tarot journal, I don't write meanings of the cards down. Now, after a couple years of practice, I know what I'm looking for in a deck, so it's much easier for me to connect with all the decks I already have or just acquired.

3. What consecration ritual(s) do you use with new divination tools?

If it's a used divination tool, I cleanse it with the smoke of loose incense and then place it on my altar with selenite or quartz on top. If it's a new tool, I just place it on my altar for a week or so. I also like to soak my tools in the moonlight from time to time, take some of them on trips in nature. 
This would be much more elaborate and completely different if I were to acquire a new set of Runes. Traditionally, Runes are supposed to be infused with the owner's blood and charged by one of the elements (Fire in my case).
I think it all depends on how you view your divination tools. For me, tarot and oracle are just cards. Of course, I like to infuse them with my personal energy but that's what I do with anything I intend to use at my altar. With Runes, it's a different story. Futhark is a system I have a huge respect for, it actually feels bigger and older than me, and much more powerful than cards. I use Runes in ritual work, magickal work, deeply transformative operations, in collaboration with forces that feel ancient and not subject to the manipulation of human mind. Whereas tarot feels like a system hugely based on human psychology and the human condition in general - there's nothing otherworldly or ancient about it. So I use it and treat it the same way I'd use any other self-development tool. Bear in mind these are just my personal opinions.



Hope you enjoyed my answers to this week's #TarotThursdayThree! Anything caught your attention? Let's discuss it!

3 comments:

  1. I thought I commented earlier but then realized I didn't do the robot check lol. Anyway, I'm so on board with a "less is more" 2017 in terms of acquiring new decks. Instagram creates such temptation, but rarely does a new deck add serious value to my practice

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely guilty as someone who viewed myself as a "collector" when I first started with tarot! How silly. I still love the indecently published decks and am guilty of purchasing more decks than I could ever use, but it's a lot better now haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. It seems that wild collecting is a common early stage for diviners!!! Many of the dusty decks on my shelves are from my own romp through that period. I am on board with you in regards to being very picky about what I spend money on these days. I know what I like, and I find that I prefer decks published by individuals, small collectives, or independent publishers.

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © 2017 Mnomquah , Blogger